Tuesday, December 9, 2008

The Solution to Life's Big Problem

Before you get your hopes up please understand that life, unlike most math problems, does not have one solution. I think that most of us have figured that much out. It, however, does have one ultimate outcome.

I dedicate this blog to two individuals who have since discovered all the answers to life's mysteries. They are a couple of people, besides my parents, that had a significant impact on my way of thinking. My fifth grade math teacher, Mr. Woodrick, had a saying that now graces the title to this blog, "Remember: Life is one big story problem." The saying has stuck with me all these years, and today my career reflects that axiom as a practitioner of the statistical arts. Mr. Woodrick (I could never call him Ed as an adult) passed away several years ago now, but his memory and influence remains permanent in the minds of all those he taught.

My grandfather, Mike Fowdy, passed away 13 years ago this month. In fact, it might even be to the day. He loved knowledge and books. I remember going to his den as a small boy and flipping through the pages of his encyclopedias. My papa's red and white mechanical pencil still sits on top of the daily newspaper's crossword puzzle in my memory. He taught me a lot, including how to tell a good story and not to take yourself too seriously. I love him dearly, and I miss his presence in my life.

I am a reflective and analytical person in large part because of the early influence of these men in my life. A legacy I hope to pass on to others in some small way. I hope to share some of that through this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment